Monday, April 13, 2009

I just bought a potted hybrid lily. How do I care for it?

It was a beautiful orange colored hybrid lily in full bloom. I see that it is a perennial flower. I have no idea how to care for a perennial. Should I take them out of the pot and plant them? What do I do at the end of the season? I have only ever has annuals...please help.

I just bought a potted hybrid lily. How do I care for it?
A perennial is a flower that comes up every year. I would put it in the ground. Lilies will produce more little plants next year. I have several lilies and it is fun to see them bloom after a long winter. Make the hole for the lily twice as big as the pot it is now in. Put it where it will get plenty of sun. In the bottom of the hole add a mixture of %26quot;Miracle Grow%26#039; soil with a hand full of cow manure. Take the lily out of the pot and gently loosen the soil around it. Place the lily in the ground. Add a little water then fill the hole up with the rest of the soil. Make sure you poke the soil down so as not to leave any air pockets. Feed it with a liquid plant food every other week. Enjoy in the summer. When the lily no longer blooms you can cut it down but don%26#039;t pull it out.. Place some mulch over for the winter. I would put a marker by it so you know where it is next spring. When spring first appears then give it a shot of fertilizer by following the directions. You will soon see it shooting up. Be paitient because some lilies bloom in spring, some in summer and some in winter. You may not see any growth until mid summer. Lilies are pretty easy to care for. Thats about all you have to do. You can move them if you don%26#039;t like where you planted them and they do quite well. You can also divide them to make more once every other year. Good Luck
Reply:Connie G. has given some explicit advice. My mom had tiger lilies before I was born and I had them since on my own.


I%26#039;m in my 50%26#039;s. I chuckled with the question because of my experience with them. Work=nope. Very hardy. Good first plant choice. Chuckle part is how to slow them down.





They grow best in sun but will also grow in shade. Plant them in the ground %26amp; water good every day or every other day until they get a good start. I never fertilize, use Miracle Grow or anything else. These are hardy plants which will spread out with more %26amp; more plants each year by creating additional bulbs onto their viney root system. Especially for their first winter, throw extra leaves onto them for protection %26amp; leave the long dead leaves on them, too (for their first winter). Many people mow over them in fall (not their first year). The greenery is from spring to fall; but blooms are short-lived (end of June to mid July).





I have them outside of my fence line %26amp; live in middle of a city.


Dogs climbed in and pee-d, kids cut plants down to ground level and even caught kids walking %26amp; stomping onto these plants - - they will grow back; just looks crappy for a couple of weeks.





They are the first to start growing in spring and will get thick enough to choke weeds out. Mine is now so thick (again) I have to dig out a bunch more; so does my mom. As a perennial, you have one of the (if not thee) toughest plants. Excellent first choice.



hotels

No comments:

Post a Comment